Did you know that April is National Grilled Cheese Month? I’ve teamed up with Arla Dofino Cheese and Eureka Bread to make two delicious and totally different grilled cheese sandwiches this month. The first one is my Grilled Cheese with Apple and Caramelized Onions. The havarti cheese is really great for grilled cheese sandwiches as it’s a softer cheese so it melts perfectly. I used Arla Dofino’s jalapeno flavored Havarti cheese but it also comes in a few other varieties. I like the spicy cheese mixed with the sweet apple and onions. It’s so light that my fiancée treated this sandwich like a dessert!
- Spread the butter on one side of each piece of bread.
- Place the one slice of bread, buttered side down, on your work surface.
- Place the apple sliced, Arla Dofino Havarti Cheese then the caramelized onions on the bread.
- Place the other slice of bread, buttered side up, on top of the caramelized onions.
- Place the sandwich in a dry frying pan.
- Turn the heat on medium low and slowly cook the sandwich on one side. You need to cook this slowly to give the cheese time to melt and the rest of the ingredients time to heat up. If you cook this too fast then the bread will be burnt and the cheese won’t be melted.
- After a few minutes you should see the cheese starting to melt. At this point you should check the bread. If it is golden then it’s time to flip.
- Flip the sandwich, taking care not to let the sandwich fall apart.
- Cook this side for another few minutes until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
Save the Date!
Join Arla Dofino and myself for a #GooeyGoodness Twitter Party on Wednesday, April 8 from 8-9 p.m. EST for grilled cheese tips, recipes and prizes!