I realize that this Spinach Stew recipe takes a whopping 60 minutes to make but I assure you it’s worth the wait. Don’t even think about trying to shave time off of this dish because it just won’t be the same. This Spinach Stew side dish only uses 6 ingredients and slow cooks them to perfection. It’s the closest thing to an allergy friendly, AIP and Paleo creamed spinach recipe you’ll ever find.
Spinach is a great veggie and packed full of healthy stuff. I try to eat it as often as possible, because it’s important to pack on the nutrient dense foods when you are on a restricted diet. However, there are only so many times I can have sautéed spinach or a spinach salad.
When you can’t have dairy, soy or any nut milk (including coconut) it’s nice to taste something so smooth, creamy and flavorful. This recipe works because it slowly condenses the tasty onion, spinach, spices and broth. The slow cooking intensifies the flavors and makes me so freaking happy.
- 2 medium Onions, roughly chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 2 cups Chicken Broth, divided
- 16 ounces Frozen Chopped Spinach, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Puree the onion and garlic in a food processor.
- Add the onion mixture to a large pot on the stovetop over medium heat.
- Cover the pot with the lid, for about 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add olive oil, turmeric, cloves and 1 cup of broth to the pot and then stir to combine.
- Continue to cook, uncovered while stirring occasionally, for about 12-14 minutes or until onions are golden brown and the liquid has reduced. Be careful to watch it towards the end as you don’t want it to burn.
- Add the frozen spinach to the pot and stir to combine.
- Cook for another 25 minutes, adding the remaining broth as necessary, to keep the mixture creamy. Keep the spinach just covered with broth, and then let the liquid cook off for the last 10 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
If you like this recipe, be sure to share it on Pinterest or leave a comment below!